Monday, July 2, 2018

June Musical of the Month (2018): Bare: A Pop Opera

Album cover
PC Here
As many of you know, part of the reason I started doing my "Musical of the Month" series was to introduce me to new musicals. Well, this month is a little different because I was introduced to this musical a little over a year ago. I have a review on it as well if you want to check it out. One of my good friends was in a production of it last year so this is not new to me. What is new is the fact that it took me a year to actually add Bare: A Pop Opera into my musical rotation on Spotify. That is why I have made Bare my June Musical of the Month

Over this last month, I have been listening to Bare: A Pop Opera quite a bit and it was almost like listening to it for the first time. I had forgotten how beautifully sad this show is. I went with my mom to work to help with filing in early June and decided to listen to it whilst I was working. I got to the end, reliving the masterpiece I had seen in 2017, and my eyes started watering.
Jonah Platt as Jason
PC Here

Bare is about two gay men, Peter and Jason, struggling to come to terms with their sexuality whilst in a Catholic boarding school in the 90's. The show is just as relevant today as it was over 20 years ago. It is filled with love and heartbreak and everything good and ugly in a relationship.

The music truly helps to convey the message to the audience that love is love and to be proud of who you are. It makes you understand what these men are going through and what they both truly want deep down; acceptance.

The score incorporates the classic sound of pop music while adding a musical theatre twist with some ballads as well. Each song portrays the characters emotions so vividly throughout the show. Joy, angst, tension, anger, sadness, betrayal, content, and confusion are all displayed throughout the show in either the characters words or songs, making it a classic and under-rated musical.

This show has a plethora of amazing characters with their own personal struggles, but these are my personal favorites (in no particular order):
Payson Lewis as Peter
PC Here

  • Peter: He is in a secret relationship with Jason, but desperately wants to come out to his friends and family. He has fully accepted who he is but is still daunted by the prospect that coming out would change everything.
  • Jason: He is in a secret relationship with Peter and wants to keep it that was fearing of what the world will think of him if he decides not to pretend that he is straight.
  • Ivy: She is considered "perfect". She's in love with Jason but learns the consequences of her choices.
Favorite songs (in no particular order):
Lindsay Pearce as Ivy
PC Here
  • "You & I"
  • "Role of a Lifetime"
  • "Best Kept Secret"
  • "911! Emergency!"
  • "One"
  • "God Don't Make No Trash"
  • "All Grown Up"
  • "Bare"


If you get the chance, go and listen to this musical. It is one of those shows that will remind you how beautiful life and love is. Plus, it has an amazing and powerful story behind everything.
"Best Kept Secret"
PC Here


Twitter: @Theatre_Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment