Friday, June 29, 2018

Panic! at the Disco: Pray for the Wicked Review

PC Here
I know what you are probably looking at the title and thinking. "Why is there a review for an album that does not relate to theatre?" Well, I thought and pondered about this for a little while and decided that since Brendon Urie was in Kinky Boots last year, this made it okay to review a Panic! at the Disco album on my theatre blog.

As many of you may know, Panic! at the Disco released a new album titled Pray for the Wicked last Friday. This album comes with so many different styles of music that all sync together somehow. With the traditional use of drums, piano, bass, guitar, and Brendon Urie's beautiful vocal cords, there is the addition of brass and string instruments.

Say Amen (Saturday Night) Video
PC Here
Like with every P!@TD album, the sound of it is different than all the others. With this, I think he went a bit more theatrical with some of the songs and a bit more pop with others. I felt that "Old Fashioned" could have come straight out of a musical, which I kind of enjoyed. I also felt like "Dancing's Not a Crime" had more of a Maroon 5 vibe to it, but with that alternative flair. (BTW, I am a huge fan of Maroon 5 as well).

I also felt that there were a couple of songs in the album had an almost inspirational feel to them. "Hey Look Ma, I Made It" and "High Hopes" both talk about never giving up hope that you are going to make it and be the one to get that big break. I feel, as a someone who really wants to become an actress, that is something that you have to have.

Hey Look Ma, I Made It Video
PC Here
Now, what did I think of the album as a whole? I absolutely loved it!!!!! It is one of the best albums
that I have ever listened to. I am someone who always has that one song from an album that they don't care for as much as the others, but this is a very rare exception. I love every single song on the album and could listen to them all day. Added bonus: it always makes me want to get up and dance.

I have already recommended it to so many of my friends and for good reason. I even said to one of my best friends that Brendon "hit it out of the park with this one". I seriously have nothing bad to say about this album.

Though, as with most things in life, I do have my favorite songs:

  1. Say Amen (Saturday Night)- This was the song that got me to pre-order the album immediately. I love the sound of it and how upbeat and energetic it is.
  2. High Hopes- Like I said, it is so inspirational and it is how I feel when I think about pursuing an acting career.
  3. Roaring 20's- A) It talks about his time on Broadway, B) I love the sound of it, and C) It is probably my favorite song out of all of them!!!
  4. One of the Drunks- I like the style of it and it makes me want to dance (which I have to restrain from doing when I'm driving)
  5. King of the Clouds- It has a super cool vibe to it and has an almost escapism element to it that I love.
  6. Dying in LA- So beautiful, so magical, so pure
If you haven't already, you guys need to go and listen to Pray for the Wicked ASAP. It is a fantastic and beautiful album that I feel most people will absolutely love!!!



Twitter: @Theatre_Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment