Friday, June 15, 2018

What my favorite LGBTQ+ Shows Taught Me: Rent and Bare

Happy Pride Month!!!!!! For Pride Month, I wanted to do a special post because not only are there so many amazing shows out there about the LGBTQ+ community, but the theatre community is the most supportive and accepting group of people out there. I have many friends that have come out to me over the last few years and you have no idea how happy I am for them.

For this post, I wanted to look at two of my favorite LGBTQ+ shows and talk about what they have taught me. I chose Rent and Bare: A Pop Opera because they both hold a special place in my heart and I wanted to share that with you all.

Rent

I first listened to Rent when I was a senior in high school and it was actually my first Musical of the Month ever. It has since become my favorite show of all time and I even did an inquiry blog on it for my ENG 101 class. I have been posting those to this blog, but I want to tell you guys that through my research for this project, I gained a deeper appreciation for the show and everyone who has been apart of it. I also was able to take a closer look and find some of the meanings that I think are so important in this show.
  • "No day but today"- It is not just a line that is mentioned time and time again through the show, it is the biggest meaning behind Rent. It reminds us that life is short and precious. The character in this show had no guarantee that they would be around to see tomorrow. That is why you do everything that you want to do at that moment and never regret it because you may never get the chance to do it again.
  • Be true to who you are- When thinking of Rent, I am reminded of a line spoken at Angel's funeral. "I am more of a man than you'll ever be, and more of a woman than you'll ever get." Angel didn't care what people thought about her. She knew who she was and she was true to herself no matter what. It inspires us the be true to ourselves and not to change for anyone. 
Bare: A Pop Opera

I first saw Bare a year ago this month (Review Here). I can honestly say that is was the most moving production I have ever seen. It has such a powerful message that resonates with everyone. Recently, I have started listening to it and I almost start crying whilst listening to it. Just remembering how beautiful the show and remembering where I was a year ago watching it.
  • The world has a place for everyone- In the show, Jason tells Peter that the world could have a place for them, but he does not believe that it was the right time to come out with all of the prejudice in the world. By the end of the show, Jason still doesn't believe it and doesn't get the chance to see the world change. But luckily, through Peter, we get to see that he believes that there are people who will accept him for who he loves. His classmates learn not to judge him for being gay and fully accept him. It is something we all must know. There is a place for everyone, no matter what.
  • Don't be afraid of who you are- This show has several characters who are afraid and/or uncomfortable with who they are. The show reminds us that there is nothing to be afraid of and that though life has its rough patches, they will subside and you will be stronger because of it.
  • "God Don't Make No Trash"- This not only is one of my favorite songs from the show, it also has a meaning to it that I truly believe. Sister Chantelle sings this song and she is telling Peter that she knows that he's gay and that she and God both have his back. I do truly believe that we are all put on this earth for a reason and that no one is a mistake. It doesn't matter what your race, ethnicity, gender, or sexuality is, you are here because you were meant to be here. 
Both
  • It doesn't matter who you love; it matters who you are- Both shows have characters who are being accepted for who they are because that is all that matters. As I've said, it doesn't matter what you look like or who you love, what matters is who you are and there will always be someone out there who will love you no matter what.
Shows like these remind us of what life is about. It is about accepting, loving, and most importantly, living. I hope everyone has a great rest of pride month. See you guys on Monday.




Twitter: @Theatre_Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment