Monday, June 12, 2017

Bare: A Pop Opera Review (minor plot spoilers)

PC Here

On June 11, 2017, I went to see a show at the Nearly Naked Theatre (also known as the Phoenix Theatre) called Bare: A Pop Opera. I heard about this because a good friend of mine, Brandon Hayes, was cast as the lead, Jason.

When I got to the theater and was seated, I was able to see the gorgeous set. It started as a cathedral which looked phenomenal and I think tech did a wonderful job designing and building the set. As we were waiting for the start time to roll around, there seemed to be a bit of technical difficulty they were trying to fix. They ended up fixing it in time which shows how hard tech works and how dedicated they are to the show.

Program
I decided not to take any notes during the show so that I was able to give my full, undivided attention to it. I didn't want to miss anything that was happening on stage.

So lets start off by talking about Act One. Act One is about the conflict between two gay men, Peter and Jason (Cole Brackney Wandelear and Brandon Hayes) keeping their relationship, and their sexuality hidden from their parents as well as their peers at their Catholic School. But everything seems to possibly be crashing down around them when it starts to become harder for Peter to keep their relationship a secret. It shows a struggle that is so real in our society not only twenty years ago when the show was written, but also now for many still coming to terms with their sexuality. Every single actor performed every song and ever scene seamlessly and so did tech. There was not a falter  in sight when it came to their performance.

Act Two was just as incredible and the actors and tech had the same energy they had in Act One. This was the most powerful act of any show I have ever seen. Everything was crashing down around all of the characters and it seemed to feel like the weight of the world was on Jason and Peter's shoulders. And even when the end of the world for these characters seemed near, we are left with the important reminder that love is love and nothing can ever change that. This act showed how coming out can be scary for some and how peoples reactions can affect those who come out. It sends a powerful message which makes the show so real and relatable to many.

Me with Brandon Hayes (Jason)
I want to talk about the actors individual performances for a bit. Cole Brackney Wandelear (Peter) really embraced the character of Peter. Brackney Wandelear emotions and facial expressions really show his conflict with whether to tell others about his sexuality. Alyssa Lucero (Nadia) conveys perfectly her characters conflict with her body image and being accepted. Nadia is a character that many of us can relate to in one way or another and Lucero brought that relatability to life. Johnna Watson and Shawn Wong (Ivy and Matt) are as talented as can be and play their characters beautifully. Watson was perfect in her execution of Ivy's wanting for Jason and the conflict it brings. Wong perfectly channeled his anger at the fact that Jason seems to take everything from him and created a truly incredible and believable performance. Brandon Hayes (Jason) is excellent when it comes to conveying his characters struggle with his sexuality. Hayes gives a performance that makes you really feel for Jason and the characters own personal conflicts. Charlotte Strayhorne (Sister Chantelle) completely rocked her role. Strayhorne did not hold back at all in her portrayal of the LGBT supporting nun which made the show that much more perfect.

I also quickly have to mention the set. The use of the set was amazing. Every single piece of scenery was utilized to it's maximum potential. Everything that is on stage in the opening of the show was all that was used and it is so amazing to see the creativity in the set design. I would never have thought to use a bench stool as a makeshift closet.

Also, I want to give recognition to the technical crew for not missing a single beat when it came to lighting, sound and everything in between. The technical crew did a magnificent job.

Overall, this is a very powerful performance done by an equally powerful and amazing cast. It sends an incredible message and I think everyone of age should see it. Now, I must say, this is not necessarily a family friendly show due to its mature subject matter, language, and nudity. Viewer discretion should be advised.

My overall rating out of 5 stars: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This is an absolutely phenomenal show that you don't want to miss. Whenever I see a show, if I like it there are usually two versions of liking for me. There is, "I liked it, but I am satisfied with seeing it the one time", and there is "I want to see it again, it was unbelievable". This is one that I really wish I could see again to be able to re-experience the beauty that is Bare: A Pop Opera at the Nearly Naked Theatre in Downtown Phoenix. So believe me when I tell you that you need to go and experience this eye opening, tear jerking, unbelievably excellent show. But you better hurry. There are only two more shows left and you don't want to miss it. You can buy tickets here.

Sincerely,

Carlee

Instagram: @The_Theatre_Corner
Twitter: @Theatre_Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment