Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Why I Love Live Filmed Musicals

PC Here
I love live filmed musicals. I'm talking recorded musicals on stage in front of a live audience. When I get into a musical, I will always look on Amazon to see if there is a stage recording of it. But why do I, and many other theatre kids alike, enjoy live stage recordings so much? Well, today, I will answer that question for you as best as I can from my own perspective.

Sometimes you don't have access to live theatre

Bear with me while I try to explain this. Some people are unable to go see a show live because of where they live and also how much some shows cost. Plus, if you are like me, sometimes you go to see a show that was magnificent and you want to see it again, but you are unable to due to cost and show dates. With live stage recording, you can watch live theatre in the comfort of your own home. Plus, it is performed by professional actors which makes the experience that much more special.

You get to experience the show in its purest form
PC Here


The problem with theatrical productions being turned into movies is that directors and producers go in and mess with the production. They will cut songs and plot points and add in their own scenes. Live stage recordings give you the experience of seeing the show you love untampered and how it was meant to be performed. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing movie musicals, but there is a difference between watching a movie versus an actual live performance.

Seeing your favorite actors in your favorite shows

PC Here
There are many shows where you wish you could see certain actors who were in those roles. With live stage recordings, you can. Through these recordings, I was able to see the original cast of Shrek the Musical, Jeremy Jordon as Jack Kelly in Newsies, and Sierra Boggess and Ramin Karimloo in The Phantom of the Opera. It gives so many people the opportunity to experience these talented actors in these roles, even if they can't see them live.


There are many reasons that people love buying and watching live filmed musicals, these are just a few of my reasons why I love them. And even though I have been able to see these performances on DVD, I do still want to see them live on stage because I truly believe that nothing can beat the experience of watching live theatre. But for now, until I can see these shows live, I will continue to watch my live stage recordings and experience the thrill of these amazing shows performed how they are meant to be performed.



Instagram: @The_Theatre_Corner
Twitter: @Theatre_Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment