Saturday, October 8, 2016

Acting Tips: Memorizing Lines

Memorizing is a key part to any on stage performance. Without it, you are left with improvisation, which could make or break a show. I, myself, have a very good memory. I can usually memorize my lines within the first month or so of rehearsals  because I have a certain technique I like to use when I need to memorize something. And today, I am going to share it with you.



1. Highlight your lines: Highlighting your lines is so important to the memorization process. By highlighting your lines, you know where your lines are, how many you have, and what line comes before yours. I usually like to highlight mine, but I have seen people underline there's in either pen or pencil. I find that highlighters works better for me because I am able to easily see where the line is and I'm not searching for it. Another trick I have used is highlighting my cues as well, but I don't always do that.



2. Record lines and cues: This really helps me. I even use this for a variety of things outside of memorizing lines. I go to the voice memos on my phone and record all of my cues and lines. I start by saying my cues (lines or actions that come before your lines or actions). In between every cue and line pair, I hold for at least a five second pause. This allows me to say my line before I actually hear it when I start to remember them. This also allows me to hear how correct or incorrect I sound after saying my line. After my long pause, I say my line and repeat the process until all of my lines recorded.


3. Listen to Recording: Now I start listening to it. By listening to it over and over again, I am able to drill the lines into my brain and keep them there for rehearsals and the show. Eventually, I am able to say the lines with my cues.

4. Say lines as you would if you were in front of an audience: This is HUGE. If you say your lines in your normal voice during rehearsals, chances are you will say them that way on stage. Whenever you are acting for something, be that character no matter what. It will make it so that when it's show time, you don't even have to think about being in character, it will come naturally.

5. Run lines with others: Whether it be with a cast mate between scenes, or a family member during lunch, you should always try and practice with others. Give the person your script, and have them read your cues. You recite back the lines and the person will tell you if the line is wrong or not. This always tends  to work well with me.

6. Read through the script: This is so important. By reading through the whole script, you are able to understand what is going on in the story and distinguish who your character is. This will help you to develop a character which will help you with memorization.

With these tips, you should be able to memorize any part you want with ease. I hope you find this useful.


Sincerely,

Carlee

Instagram: @The_Theatre_Corner
Twitter: @Theatre_Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment