Friday, February 2, 2018

January's Musical of the Month (2018): Dear Evan Hansen

Album Cover
PC Here
This month's musical is one I have been wanting to listen to for a long time. I actually started listening to this last year but got busy with finals and graduation and put it on hold. Now I have finally finished listening to it! January's Musical of the Month is Dear Evan Hansen.

According to Broadway.com, Dear Evan Hansen is about "A letter that was never meant to be seen, a lie that was never meant to be told, a life he never dreamed he could have." as well as "... life and the way we live it." (Full Description here). It is an exciting and deeply emotional coming of age story that many can relate to in one way or another.

I heard about Dear Evan Hansen from my friends before the cast album even came out. They were talking about it on social media and everything. Then I started hearing about the album coming out on from Broadway.com and Playbill and knew that I had to check it out. If it was getting this much hype before anyone had even had access to listening to it, then I knew it must be a winner. And I was right.
Ben Platt as Evan Hansen
PC Here

As I always do with musicals, I started off by reading a synopsis of the show so I could understand what was going on. Needless to say, I very intrigued with the plot of the show. It is full of emotion and character and just life in general.

I began listening to it on Spotify and immediately fell in love with the music. I even started learning how to sing "Waving Through a Window". Every song has a purpose to it and there is no fluff what-so-ever. It conveys everything the characters are feeling in that moment which adds so much power and intensity to every song. The show just pulls at your heartstrings and doesn't let go until the very end.
Evan and Zoe
PC Here

I am very proud of myself for this because I have successfully stayed away from bootlegged clips of the show. The only clips I have seen are from interviews and the cast's performance at the 2017 Tony Awards. Let's just say, I hope they come to Arizona when they go on tour.





In terms of favorite characters, I only have one this month:

  • Evan Hansen: I absolutely love his character. Yes, he does tell a very big lie, but he is so complex. I was able to find a small piece of myself within him and I was able to sympathize with him about what he was going through. I also love characters who are able to learn from their mistakes and get better because of it.

Favorite Songs:
Evan and Connor
PC Here
(in no particular order)
  • "Waving Through A Window"
  • "For Forever"
  • "Sincerely, Me"
  • "Requiem"
  • "You Will Be Found"
  • "Only Us"
  • "Good For You"
I highly recommend that you guys go and listen to this show if you haven't already. It is amazing and powerful and overall just an incredible story.
"Sincerely, Me"
PC Here


Instagram: @The_Theatre_Corner
Twitter: @Theatre_Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment