Friday, January 5, 2018

Musicals of 2017


Happy 2018!!!!! Wasn't 2017 an amazing year? I hope 2018 will be just as awesome.

During 2017, I was exposed to quite a few musicals, some that I had seen, and some I had just listened to. I thought I would do a rundown of all the shows I was exposed to last year and my thoughts on them.

Quick note: Some shows overlap because I started listening to the soundtrack after I saw the show. I will talk about the performance aspect of the shows I saw. With the shows I listened to, I will talk more about the score and vocals.

Musicals I Saw in 2017

Mary Poppins (Perry High School): I had quite a few friends in this show who I went to support.
You could see the passion that the cast had for the show. The dancing was unbelievable and the fact that they used a flying rig was astonishing. Everytime an actor went up into the air was perfectly executed and none of the set was knocked over. Overall, a truly remarkable show.

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (Queen Creek High School): One of my oldest friends was in this show, so of course I had to come support her. And what can I say, everything was astonishing. The acting was spot on and the big dance number in the show was absolutely remarkable. I have to say, these young actors will go far.

Sister Act (Studio 3): As with most of these shows on my list, I had friends in this one too. Though there were problems with the mics, this was the best community theatre production I have ever seen. So professional. The actress who played Dolores was perfect for that role (she was not one of the friends I was supporting, but I was thoroughly impressed). Everyone in that show did such a phenomenal job and I am so happy I got to see it.

Bare (Nearly Naked Theatre): This show had an amazing cast and an amazing message to bring to everyone. Since I already have a review of the show posted, I will leave a link here so you can read my full thoughts on Bare: A Pop Opera.

13 (Perry High School): Again, I had friends in this show. I enjoyed the show very much, but it wasn't my favorite of them all (will explain more in the next section). But I will say, the acting was very well done and the actors singing was amazing. Plus, this show is relatable to pretty much everyone. I do feel you find a bit of yourself in these characters and the situations they go through. I know I did.

Something Rotten! (National Tour at ASU Gammage): MY FAVORITE SHOW OF THE YEAR!!!!! I wanted to see this show because I found out that Adam Pascal (who played Roger in Rent) was portraying William Shakespeare. The show was absolutely breath-taking. Every musical reference, every tap number, every song, just everything about it. I was blown away by this show. There will be a post later this month talking about my experience seeing this show.

Newsies (Filmed Live on Stage at Harkins Theater): This wasn't actually a production I went to see, but I felt I had to mention it because I know many theatre kids who were so excited to see this in theaters. This was my first encounter with the Broadway version of Newsies, and I was amazed. The dancing, the acting, the singing, the set. Everything about it was absolutely perfect. I am so happy I am able to relive every second of this because it was filmed. The beauty of Netflix I tell you.

Musicals I Listened to in 2017

Newsies: I began listening to the show immediately after I saw it at Harkins. I was familiar with the musical because of the 1990's movie of the same name. I am in love this soundtrack. I am always impressed when actors are able to incorporate their accents for a show in their singing. And every actor did exactly that. The New York accent rang out along with the beautiful score Alan Menken wrote for this. Every song has a place and a meaning and I love that.

13
: Like I said earlier, this was not one of my favorites. Though I enjoyed seeing the show, it was mostly the music that didn't do it for me. The score is quite good, but the lyrics just don't do it for me personally. I think this is because I can't relate to the show so much anymore. The show is about junior high and growing up, and though I have gone through all of that, I am at the end of my teenage years. I will say though, the show has a powerful message that is displayed perfectly well through the music.

Aida: This is a show I have heard about for a little while now and it will be my December Musical of the Month. Since I will go into more detail there, I will be brief here. This is a musical that has Adam Pascal in it and I think you can tell I'm a fan. The score makes you feel like you are in Egypt with the actors but it also has a modern flair to it which I enjoy. The emotion could be felt in the actors singing, even when just listening to it.

I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change: I heard of this show because my high school performed a shortened version of this for their one-act at the Arizona State Thespian Festival in 2016. The lyrics are hilarious and there is no question that you will be on the floor laughing after listening to this musical.

Something Rotten!: I decided not to listen to the soundtrack before I went to see the show because I wanted my first experience to be from an unbiased perspective. The score is phenomenal as well as the lyrics. And don't get me started on how amazing the singing is. Overall, an amazing musical that you should definitely listen to and see if you can.

Heathers: I had friends in my theatre class who were obsessed with this musical and during my summer break, I decided to give it a go. You do need to read a description of the show in order to fully comprehend what is happening with each song, but it is definitely worth listening to. It's funny and the vocals are amazing. I will say that this is not a show for young kids due to its mature content and language. But if you are of age, give it a whirl. You won't regret it.

With so many amazing musicals, it is hard to listen to them all. But I am sure that this year, I will be able to check a few off of my list. Here's to a New Year filled with seeing new shows and listening to new musicals.



Instagram: @The_Theatre_Corner
Twitter: @Theatre_Corner


Collage Photo Credits
Mary Poppins
Bare: A Pop Opera
Something Rotten!
I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change
How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
Sister Act
13
Newsies
Heathers

No comments:

Post a Comment